Frequently Asked Questions


Have other questions about studying in Japan?

Contact Us »


WIll I be able to get a scholarship?

Approximately 57% of study abroad students who are studying in universities in Japan are granted a scholarship during their stay. The average of monthly scholarship is ¥64,300 (US$561).

When does the academic year begin?

Most higher educational institutions in Japan set its academic year from April to March of the following year. Many of higher educational institutions have adopted the semester system, and some institutions start their academic year in the fall. 

Who is eligible to study undergraduate programs in Japanese universities?

A student who has completed his or her secondary education (include high school) and school education for 12 years or more outside of Japan will qualify for admission to a Japanese university. A student educated in a country where primary and secondary education (including high school) lasts for less than 12 years will become qualified for admission if he or she completes a college preparatory course designated by the Japanese Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, and if the student is over 18 years old. Those who have qualifications such as an International Baccalaureate or Abitur and are aged at least 18 years are also qualified for admission to a Japanese university.

What will I need to live and study in japan?

  • The admission approval from the Japanese educational institution you have been accepted into (Japanese language institution, university or others)
  • A valid passport
  • Visa from Japanese Embassy or Consulate from your home country
  • Certificate of Eligibility for Status of Residence (If issued)

Will i be able to visit other countries or go home during my breaks?

Foreigners in Japan planning to return to their home countries or visit other countries for a short period during their period of stay must apply for a re-entry permit at Regional Immigration Bureaus before leaving Japan. Pay attention to this requirement because failure to do so will necessitate you to apply for another visa at an oversea Japanese Embassy or Consulate.


WilL I be able to work in Japan?

Approximately 75% of privately financed international students in Japan are working part-time, and they are allowed to work up to 28 hours per week. 80% of those who are doing part-time work make ¥800 (US$7.38) to ¥1,200 (US$11.06) an hour. Assuming that the maximum of 28 hours a week is fully used up to work; their earning will be ¥89,600 (US$826) to ¥134,400 (US$1,231) monthly.

What programs are offered in English?

There are many programs in English, from the visual arts to medicine. Set-up a consultation to find out more.

Do I need to know the japanese language to study in Japan?

There are nearly 800 programs taught in English; however, many vocational schools require that you have studied Japanese for 6 months or more at a Japanese-language institute accredited by the Association for the Promotion of Japanese-language Education and notified by the Minister of Justice, or certified at Level 1 or 2 of the Japanese Language Proficiency Test given by the Association of International Education Japan and the Japan Foundation.

Who is eligible to study graduate programs in Japanese universities?

A student who has completed prescribed courses at an institute of higher education outside of Japan will qualify for admission to a Japanese graduate school if the student has completed 16 years of school education (18 years for those enrolling in doctor's programs in medicine, dentistry or veterinary science). Those who are recognized as having academic ability equal to or above that of a college graduate and are at least 22 years in age (24 years in the case of doctor's programs in medicine, dentistry or veterinary science) also qualify for admission to a graduate school.